TV Show: This Is Us
Episode Title: The Car
Original Air Date: February 6, 2018
Episode Number: 2×15
The history of the Pearsons as told through the life of the family car.
I can’t take it anymore, all this crying for the past two episodes. Please let the next episode be a lot more happy and joyful. I think we could all use a break because crying and feeling all these emotions is EXHAUSTING!
Still loved the episode, of course, just that I would like to not cry again for the rest of the week, lol. It was great to see the history of the car and everything that happened in it. Makes me wonder what kind of deal Jack made with Mel the car salesman if he said he can’t afford the car. I seriously doubt Mel would give him a huge discount just on the basis of that speech, but I’ll suspend my disbelief.
The last scene with the Pearsons at Jack’s tree was heartbreaking. This is the moment where the tears literally streamed down my face. Rebecca telling Kevin and Randall that they don’t need to be the man of the house, that they should just enjoy being 17 year olds started the waterworks. And then it didn’t stop when Rebecca came out and told Kate not to blame herself for Jack’s death, that Jack was a grown man and made that decision to go back. It’s really sad that all these years, Kate had to live with that feeling of guilt and I hope that she has forgiven herself for it because it was no one’s fault.
Rebecca telling Jack “I promise you, we’re gonna be okay” made me burst out sobbing. That was such a great scene and Mandy knocked it out of the park again in this episode. Loved that the episode ended on a happy note with all of them going to the Bruce concert using the tickets that Jack bought them just a week before. Good call by everyone agreeing to go to that.
Other thoughts and observations:
– It was great to see Dr. K again and telling Rebecca that she’s much stronger than she gives herself credit for and that she’ll be just fine raising the kids.
– Kevin getting pissy about Randall wearing Jack’s watch was understandable because everyone’s emotions are still on edge. I liked that he reached out to Randall in the back of the car on their way to the Bruce concert.
– I was pretty shocked when Kevin accused Randall of letting Jack go back in because if Kevin was there, he would have stopped Jack. This is Kevin’s guilt talking here because you just know he feels guilty for not being there.
– Loved Jack’s speech to Kevin and Randall about being brothers and how they should cherish their time with each other and be thankful that they have each other. Quite poignant.
– Jack and Kate bonding over Alanis (“Atlantis” hahaha) and Bruce was a fantastic scene and I really wish that the show would have Kate pursue a career in songwriting while doing singing side jobs.