TV Show: Arrow
Episode Title: Irreconcilable Differences
Original Air Date: December 7, 2017
Episode Number: 6×09
Quentin Lance is kidnapped by Black Siren and Cayden James, who are looking to trade Lance’s life for a weapon of mass destruction. Oliver and Team Green Arrow must figure out a way to save Lance while still keeping the city safe.
Can we have the writers and director of this episode (all women, mind you) write and direct more Arrow episodes? This was one of my favorite episodes this season because I was actually interested in the plot and it got me engaged. Hell, it even made the impossible possible: I actually kind of got sad when the newbies left the team one by one.
I’ve never been a fan of them and I should have been celebrating that they’re no longer part of the team (let’s be real, though, they’re all going to be back on the team next episode), but this episode made me feel sorry for them. A bit of hypocrisy going on with Rene, Dinah, and Curtis, though. Rene was given a second chance by Oliver and yet he still screwed it up by not trusting Oliver enough. Dinah kept the Vigilante a secret from the team. Curtis blames being on the team as the reason why his marriage ended. I remember correctly that he was the one who chose the team over Paul so what the hell is that about?
Best parts of the episode were:
1) The wedding reception. So great to see everyone happy and all dressed up. Oliver and Felicity look utterly happy and in love, I love it. Nice to see Donna again and I laughed at her asking that they should have been married by a rabbi.
2) Thea! I have missed her so much and wish that she be part of the team again. Please make it happen, show. There’s no reason why Willa is getting sidelined here. Let the woman earn her pay. Still curious as to why she’s no longer part of the regular cast even though her name still appears on the opening credits in every episode. Anyway, it made me smile when Thea said that she expected someone to be there (i.e. Roy). I want him to come back.
3) Original Team Arrow. Fuck yeah. They’ve done this before and they can do it by themselves again. Gonna be tough, though. Should be interesting to see how they function as a team against Team Cayden.
4) The reveal in the end with Cayden James, Laurel, Vigilante, Anatoly, and Diaz all working together? Whoa. That’s a formidable team right there. Dinah is going to regret trusting Vince again.
5) Quentin giving the watch his own father gave him on his wedding day to Oliver was awesome. He’s become the son that he never had and I love it. I love that he mentioned the fact that Oliver’s parents weren’t there and it made me tear up a little that Moira wasn’t there to see her son get married.
Other random thoughts and observations:
– “You are not throwing up. I’m already spending my honeymoon in a garbage can. I’m not wearing your puke!”
– Enjoyed the nod to Mission Impossible with Oliver coming down from the ceiling in a harness to steal the weapon. That was great.
– Rene’s reaction when Curtis took his burger was priceless.
– Laurel letting Quentin go was a shock, but I think she was only doing it to stick to whatever Cayden has planned. I don’t think she sees Quentin as her own dad.