TV Show: 12 Monkeys
Episode TitleThe Beginning, Parts 1 and 2
Original Air Date: July 6, 2018
Episode Number: 4×10 and 4×11
Part 1: The fate of time and mankind hangs in the balance and all the pieces finally come together to mark the end of the beginning.
Part 2: When all hope is lost, Cole must complete his cycle so that his younger self will one day arrive at the end with the answer.
I am completely floored by this series finale. Without a doubt, it was one of the best finales I have EVER seen and really comes close to beating the best sci-fi series finale (imo) in Fringe. In fact, Fringe is one of my favorite shows ever and 12 Monkeys has catapulted pretty close to the top and is right up there with Fringe as the best sci-fi show ever. Both shows have tough competition with The Expanse too so it’s getting pretty crowded up there at the top of my list.
Where do I even start with these two episodes? I apologize in advance if this review ends up being all over the place. Really appreciated how the writers and the showrunners wrapped everything up perfectly and answered all of our questions and made everything make sense and connected. I want to rewatch the show again just to see if I can pinpoint the hints that I’m sure were placed there by the writers and were referenced later on in future episodes.
I honestly don’t think I’ve watched a finale that was absolute perfection from beginning to end (or maybe I just don’t remember, haha). I laughed, I cried, I was shocked, I cheered, I cried some more. To sum up, my emotions basically ran the gamut from happy to sad and everything in between. It truly made me happy how the show ended and how everyone got their happy endings.
Adler and Laskey finding each other and ending up being friends; Jones, Elliot, and Hannah living a happy life; Jennifer bioengineering a unicorn because why not; Ramse and his son; Deacon running a bar with the older Jennifer as his trusty companion. And just when I thought Cassie would end up being alone, Jones did the thing (thanks to Athan’s advice to “save the one”) so that Cole could have his happy ending together with Cassie. Yeah, I was in absolute tears during this entire sequence and I couldn’t stop smiling through my tears when they both went to each other and kissed and hugged each other. 😭
Loved seeing Ramse return and Deacon (and Max)!!! Cole trying to hold down Ramse and then the two of them ending up hugging each other was quite satisfying and I loved that Ramse was just like “Yeah, I believe you, bro. Let’s do this!” even though he knew that he had to go back and die at the hands of Cole. Powerful stuff. Their relationship was one of the best things about the show and I hated how Ramse’s obsession with his son’s death led to the dissolution of their friendship so seeing them working together again was really great.
Also, them sitting in the car waiting for Titan to appear and fiddling with the car stereo had me in stitches. Whoever thought up Time Of My Life to play during the scene where they have to be total badasses and take down Olivia and her henchmen with guns blazing is a genius. That was the perfect song choice and it will always remind me of this scene every time I hear this song. And then the Thelma and Louise nod before they splintered out of the car. Too cool! The best part about this scene was Olivia making her serious speech and then you hear the song playing in the distant and then she’s all like what the fuck. 😅
Deacon coming in to save the day with Chicken aka older Jennifer was too fucking awesome. I had a feeling seeing him beheaded in an earlier episode was not the last we would see him and I was right! Just when I thought all was lost and Jones was going to get shot, Deacon and the West VII (hi, Max!) show up with guns blazing thanks thanks to Chicken going to Deacon and convincing him to help the Splinter Squad.
Chicken talking to Egg and making a song request and Egg’s speech over the radio and dedicating the song to “Tired In Titan” was THE BEST. I was laughing so hard! Olivia’s face when she heard Jennifer’s “dedication”…hahahahaha. And of course, great use of Don’t You Forget About Me again. That’s definitely the theme song for this show.
I was never a huge shipper of Cole and Cassie but dammit if they didn’t make me swoon and tear up at the same time when Cole proposed to Cassie. That was beautifully done. And it didn’t occur to me at the time that the car that Cole and Ramse took belonged to Cole’s dad and the ring he found in the glove compartment was supposed to be for Hannah and I’m just verklempt. 😭
Random thoughts and observations:
– Olivia being mocked will never not be funny. Jennifer drawing Olivia’s 12 Monkeys logo and reconfiguring it to look like a little penis man and asking Olivia “Is that because you’re such a dick?” was a highlight, for sure.
– Jennifer reacting to seeing Ramse again was gold. “Holy shit balls! What’s up, bro?” “What’s up, Cocoa Puffs?”
– Also this: “She’s he’s grammy.” “Miss Goines.” “Just filling him in.”
– Seeing Olivia getting obliterated by her machine was sweet revenge. That was pretty gross seeing her lower half crashing like that with blood spurting all over and then later on we see her top half traveling to the 9th century and then we learn that she was the source of the plague. 😱
– Loved loved LOVED Cassie hugging Deacon even though Deacon wasn’t really sure what that hug meant. Their friendship is one of my very favorite things about this show.
– I’m glad that when Jones died in the end that she wasn’t alone and that Cole was with her. They were together until the end. Beautiful.
– Love that we got to hear Jennifer call Cole “Otter Eyes” one last time. Their brother/sister relationship is the best. “You were never crazy. You were the best of us.” 😭
– I wish more people watched this show while it was still on but now that it’s over, I want them to discover what a gem this show is. Spread the word, people.