TV Show: Fringe
Episode Title: Marionette
Original Air Date: December 9, 2010
Episode Number: 3×09
When the Fringe Team investigates a case where a victim had his heart extracted, it’s just the beginning of a series of mysterious and reanimating events tied together. Meanwhile, Peter comes to terms with the reality of his relationship with Olivia.
Was this episode heartbreaking or what? Olivia is finally back home, but instead of it being all hunky-dory, it’s all doom and gloom after Peter told her that he and Fauxlivia had a relationship because he believed that she was Olivia. The last scene between them was truly devastating. Olivia finally cracks and shows her true feelings by telling Peter that Fauxlivia is everywhere and has taken everything: her clothes, her job, that she doesn’t want to live in her apartment anymore, and that she doesn’t want to be with Peter anymore. 💔 Good God, what a tragic love story Peter and Olivia have. Torn apart by two universes and now that they’re back together in the same universe, they still can’t be together because of what Fauxlivia did. How can anyone get past this?
Peter should have known earlier that Olivia saying she’s fine after he told her everything that she’s not fine and that she’s only putting up a facade because that’s the type of person she is, always compartmentalizing. He really should have followed up with her after their talk in the hospital just to make sure she’s okay.
The scene with Olivia in her apartment realizing the impact of Fauxlivia living her life all this time was so well-acted by Anna Torv. This is Olivia finally letting herself break down and thinking about the emotional implications of what Fauxlivia did and how she violated Olivia and her relationships with her colleagues. Her sobbing on the floor after seeing Peter’s MIT shirt was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Seeing that made it more real somehow and she just couldn’t stop herself from completely breaking down in tears. Let me hold you, Olivia!
The case itself made this one of the creepiest Fringe episodes ever with Roland harvesting the donated organs back from the people who received them because he wanted to bring back Amanda from the dead. Kinda creepy for a man to do this for a 17-year old girl, but it’s made clear that he did it not because he loves her that way, it’s because he feels that she deserves another chance. Her manipulating her corpse was just so perfectly Fringe.
I’m usually dubious about shows doing parallels with the case of the week and with the main characters’ plot, but I didn’t mind this one. Roland knew that it wasn’t Amanda when he looked into her eyes; later on we have Olivia asking Peter how come he didn’t know. It’s a big ask, for sure, but there were little hints and Fauxlivia slipping up a few times that Peter should have noticed, but for some reason decided to ignore because he chalked it up to her explaining that she has a new outlook on life after seeing the Olivia on the other side. Again, such a tragic story.
In other news, I’m thrilled that we have Olivia back and of course she’s already back on the job. Loved seeing her styling her hair so that the bangs are out of the way and that her hair is back to her natural blonde and her wearing her standard FBI suit and her sensible shoes and her not wearing very minimal makeup and no mascara/eyeliner. It was a breath of fresh air. It was so adorable when she got to the crime scene with Broyles and she had this smile on her face upon seeing the Bishops and that smile came back again when Walter said one of his Walter-isms.
Also liked her scene with Broyles and telling him more about AltBroyles and his family over there and how she made a promise to him that she will do everything she can to heal both worlds. Very touching scene between them. I also liked the scene with Olivia and Astrid when Olivia asked her if Peter seemed different and happier with Fauxlivia. Astrid, bless her, assures Olivia that whatever feelings Peter had for Fauxlivia were for Olivia and that they were real and still are.
Other random observations:
– Peter telling Olivia that Fauxlivia was more quick with a smile and less intense…awkward. I wonder how Olivia felt about this, that Peter considers her to be an intense person.
– “I thought she was you, Olivia.” I’m not crying!
– How is Olivia going to get rid of that tattoo in the back of her neck? Laser surgery? Too bad they don’t have the same gadget her as in the other universe that can easily get rid of tattoos. Where’s Newton when you need him?
– Walter putting his finger inside the urn and tasting what was supposed to be Amanda’s remains just made me shake my head. Never change, Walter.
– Oh hey, another alumna of The 100 showed up on Fringe! It was very brief: the guy who plays Nathan Miller was the one who brought in the box of patient files for Olivia and Peter in the office.
– Peter saying “I’m sorry” after Olivia has already left was so sad. There’s really nothing else he can do or say that would make this whole situation better. They’re both suffering and have a ways to go before they can move on from this.
– September is back and is talking in code again. Was he referring to Peter or Walter when he told the other person on the phone that “he’s still alive”?