Episode Title: Lian Yu
Original Air Date: May 24, 2017
Episode Number: 5×23
The battle between Oliver and Adrian Chase culminates in a final epic battle on Lian Yu. After recent events, Oliver decides to recruit a group of unlikely allies — Slade, Nyssa, Merlyn, and Digger Harkness — to defeat Chase. However, Chase has his own army – Black Siren, Evelyn Sharp, and Talia al Ghul.
My jaw is still on the floor. That was an amazing finale and probably one of the show’s best episodes ever. How awesome was this episode? Let me count the ways!
1) Moira Queen was back. This was probably my most favorite scene in this episode and the one that had me bawling like a baby. I don’t know if I wasn’t paying attention to the credits, but if Susanna Thompson was in the opening credits, I missed it because I was so shocked to see her in the flashback. That phone conversation with Oliver was heartbreaking. When she called him “my beautiful boy”, I cried even harder. I have missed Moira so, so much and wish she was still alive. All of these moments that she will never share with Oliver and Thea anymore is making my heart break.
2) Slade Wilson was back. They got me there with him “betraying” Oliver only he didn’t! It was all part of the plan so that Talia and Lauren would take him to the rest of the team. Smart. It’s great that Slade is back to normal and is no longer affected by the Mirakuru because it was such a breath of fresh air to have him be genuinely on Oliver’s side and helping him out.
3) Thea and Felicity talking. I live for these two characters interacting and I loved their brief conversation about their respective fathers and how, in the end, their fathers would sacrifice themselves to protect their daughters. Felicity kissing Thea’s head was such a sweet gesture.
4) The Olicity kiss. It was unexpected yet sweet and it made me smile. “Just in case.” I’m a sucker for these two idiots, what can I say?
5) The fight scenes were so good. Jesse Warn, the director of this episode, needs to direct more episodes because I thought he did a fantastic job directing, especially the fight scenes. I loved the camera panning from one fight to the next between Team Arrow and Team Chase. So well-done.
6) Talia vs. Nyssa and Laurel vs. Dinah. Both were great fights, but I preferred the sisters’ duel vs. the Canaries dueling because the former looked more balletic and more fluid. Who else laughed when Lance knocked out Laurel with a huge stick? Too funny. If Laurel is a regular next season, I look forward to her being a villain and being an antagonist against Team Arrow.
7) Chase is fucking nuts and it was so enjoyable to watch him this entire season. Kudos to Josh Segarra. Seriously. He did a bang-up job portraying the crazy that was Chase and the lengths he went to just to mess with Oliver. His plan for Oliver to either choose William (and kill Chase) or choose his team (and not kill Chase) is so fucked up in so many ways. I’m honestly going to miss his brand of crazy next season.
8) That cliffhanger? Holy shit. I have no doubt the team found a way to get off the island mere seconds before it blew up, but still, this is torture having to wait five months to find out how they made it off the island. I wonder if Samantha is going to survive. God, I hope so. I don’t want William to be a part of Oliver’s life in that I don’t want him to be a recurring character next season. He can stay on the show, but he can stay offscreen. With the island blowing up, does that mean Evelyn and Talia are dead?
9) Malcolm died saving Thea. Somehow, I don’t believe he’s really dead. If there’s no body, there’s still a huge chance he’s alive.
10) Special shoutout to Stephen Amell. He really sold Oliver’s pain, anger, confusion, etc. in all of his scenes. When Chase said that William is dead, I actually got a tear in my eye because Oliver was tearing up. Good job, Amell.
That’s all I have. This season has been a vast improvement from last season and I’m hoping that the writers use this momentum and raise the quality of season six even more.