TV Show: The Expanse
Episode Title: Assured Destruction
Original Air Date: April 25, 2018
Episode Number: 3×03
Earth strategizes a costly ploy to gain advantage in the war against Mars. Anna struggles to convince Sorrento-Gillis to do the right thing. Avasarala and Bobbie seek refuge aboard the Rocinante.
This season continues to be very, very good and we finally see Avasarala and Bobbie meeting the Roci crew and it wasn’t all hunky dory. I really liked the scene where Bobbie got all abrasive and confrontational about the defaced Martian flag and threatening to take over the ship. Of course she would behave like that because that’s just how she was built. Amos ready to duke it out with Bobbie at first made me smile because I honestly wouldn’t know who to root for if those two ever fight against each other. It will be an even match.
Seeing Avasarala continue to adjust to space life by using mag boots was very funny. Just like Bobbie, I highly enjoyed watching her try to walk with mag boots on and complaining about hating space. Bobbie just sitting there smiling at all of this was just as funny. I got a kick out of Amos helping Avasarala put on her boots with her leaning on his shoulders. It was adorable.
I thought Avasarala’s scenes with Holden and Naomi were quite good. It won’t be long until she will have convinced Holden to go to the Agatha King and rendezvous with Admiral Souther. Nice touch bringing up her visit with one of Holden’s mothers to somewhat convince Holden that her intentions are good and that she’s doing all of this to save Earth from being nuked and to stop an inevitable war between the two planets.
As far as Naomi and Avasarala, yeah, they’re not going to be friends any time soon, but I’ve a feeling that both of them will start to mellow out and will eventually decide to work together because I think essentially, they both want the same thing: no war and very little casualties from all sides.
Fucking Errinwright, I swear. I don’t know why he’s doing this and practically forcing the Secretary General to declare war against Mars. What is his endgame here? Is he willing to sacrifice innocent lives just so he can have his war? It looks like that’s exactly what he did, most likely tampering with the fifth warhead giving enough time for the Martian ship to fire a missile at Earth. Now he’s blaming the Secretary General (and Anna) for those two million lives that were lost in South America. Unforgivable.
I was so thrilled when I saw Cotyar! Really hope he gets to reunite with Avasarala and Bobbie again and if the Roci does make its way to the Agatha King, I hope Cotyar makes it onboard the Roci to join the rest of the crew. His loyalty to Avasarala just warms my heart and I really hope that Souther and his crew figure out a way to get Nguyen off his ship.
So now Mao grows a conscience? Too little, too late, dude. This probably means he’ll be toast soon, right? I really thought Strickland was going to kill him right then and there after Mao orders him to stop experimenting on the kids. Yeah, that’s not going to happen under Strickland’s watch. You just know he’ll disobey that order even before Mao finished saying it.
Other random thoughts and observations:
– Poor Alex getting that message from his wife and her saying that she’s happy for him, but that she and their son don’t need him anymore.
– I continue to love the bond between Prax and Amos. More of that, please. If we learn more about Amos’ backstory this way, I’m all for it. I read the novella that’s about Amos’ story so I already know it, but I can’t wait to see it will unfold on the show.
– Did anyone else got a laugh at the poor coffee maker in the corner all duct-taped with an Out Of Order sign?
– Alex making peace with Naomi was very sweet. I’m glad. Now let Amos be next and then Holden.
– Avasarala thanking Bobbie for “not letting me die” brought a huge smile to my face. They have such a great relationship and I might have teared up just a little when Bobbie took Avasarala’s outstretched hand to squeeze it.